Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Want To Be a Barefoot Beach Bar Girl!


If you have been reading along with my blog from the beginning, you know that I am writing this blog as part of a personal “quest” to figure out what I want to do with the next chapter of my life. And last weekend, while at a birthday party for a bar--yes, the party was for the BAR'S birthday--I had an epiphany. I want to be a Barefoot Beach Bar Girl! Wait, let me clarify. What I mean is, I want to be LIKE the girls who OWN and WORK at this magically entertaining place where every day feels like a party! If you’ve been to Placencia, you’ve probably been to the Barefoot and may understand what I’m saying. But for those of you who haven’t, I’ll try to explain.

Watermelon Bliss!
There are lots of really great places to eat and drink in the village, but the Barefoot is my personal favorite for good-natured fun in Placencia. Originally started as a small bar and grill on the beach, it’s been through a couple of reincarnations, including a short move off the beach to Main Street, and most recently, its joyful return to the beach last summer. Created by two sisters, Cassie and Brice, the Barefoot is popular with visitors and regulars alike, and serves great food and very imaginative, tasty STIFF drinks.

But the "Foot," as it's often called, has morphed into something so much more than just another beach bar and grill.  With the help of another sister, Ellie, who does most of her work behind the scenes, the girls and their awesome staff have made the Barefoot into an establishment where you have an enjoyable visit every time you go. It’s a neighborhood-watering-hole “Cheers” kind of spot where both regulars and visitors are heartily welcomed. And soon, given courage by the deliciously deceptive stiff beverages, everyone finds themselves joining in on the fun.  

It seems the Barefoot girls and their crew are always having a party of sorts, whether planned or spontaneous. Somehow, the girls find a way to make their imaginative and creative theme parties happen almost every weekend. There are horseshoes and backgammon, a variety of live music most evenings, sports on the tv, and of course, that beautiful beach.  Unless you’re a zombie, you just can’t go and NOT have fun at the “Foot.” And just last weekend, at their Birthday Party to celebrate nine years in business (which lasted all weekend long!) the Barefoot Beach Bar girls and their team were STILL having a blast.  Nine years later, they’re still loving what they do, and celebrating it.  And I realized -- I want to do THAT.

I want to do something in the next chapter of my life that I’m still having fun with and celebrating nine years later, just like the Barefoot girls. Something that makes me happy enough to want to supply a four-foot tall piƱata filled with goodies for all the guests!  And though I’m still searching to find “that thing," I hope when I do, it continues to make me feel like having a party every single day. In the meantime, you can find me at the Barefoot, having fun and looking for it in the bottom of my glass!!!

If you haven't been to the 'Foot, check them out here, and start making your plans to go!  https://www.facebook.com/BarefootBarPlacenciaBelize


No comments:

Post a Comment