Thursday, November 14, 2013

Throwing a Wrench In It


Welcome to Day 7!  I can’t believe it’s been a week since I’ve started my career as an aspiring writer!  Thank you for the support, encouragement, and advice you’ve given so far.  I am learning a lot and am glad to have you reading along.  But, hold onto your hats because it's just a week into it, and I’m gonna throw a wrench in it.

Each day as I’ve tried to explain my writing assignments to you, I've been  getting a gut feeling that this is not quite the right direction for my blog.  It hasn’t been a process that I enjoyed.  It's gotten harder to write, taken more and more time, and I’ve liked it less.  I feel I need to modify the content and style of this blog, and tweak it to suit me.  While the lessons in the challenge are definitely worth doing, the description of them is, quite frankly, extremely boring.  And really, isn’t writing something I should enjoy, and that you should be interested in reading? Isn’t that what this process is all about?

So, while I will still continue to do the work behind the scenes, I will be telling you less about it.   I can imagine some of you are saying, “Thank god!”  Maybe a few of you are crying out, “but WHY!?”  (probably only the wannabe writers like me!)  But, here’s the deal my friends.  In all the research I’ve done about becoming a writer, the biggest piece of advice that keeps slapping me in the face is “Find Your Own Voice!”  And, in the writing I’ve been doing so far, my voice has been muted, warped by someone else’s noise.  I need to find my own voice and sing my own song!  So, YIPPEE-it’s all about me now! MY VOICE! But….. I need your help to find it.

They say “write what you know,” and I know a little bit about a LOT of things, just look at my profile history for a small sample.  And I want to keep all of you interested in what I have to say.   So, I’m asking you a very important question--What do YOU suggest I write about?  What do YOU want to hear about?  I’m going to put a list of ideas at the bottom, below my closing, to get you started. But feel free to add any suggestions!

In closing today, I feel we’ve come full circle, and are once again at the beginning.  From here, I am again unsure exactly what this blog is going to be about.  But, it’s also exciting, as new beginnings can often lead you to something fantastic! And, I do know it is going to be fun because I will be writing with my own voice, and singing my own song, even if it is a bit wacky & off key!  So, from this point forward, I’m at your mercy.  Please tell me what you want to hear about in the comments section, or message me on Facebook.  I look forward to your suggestions!  And check out my possible topics below!

Just a few of things I could write about:
My adventures in Belize, like ziplining or horseback riding in the jungle? Crazy incidents like getting bit by a poisonous spider or stung in the chest by a scorpion?  My unbelieveable experiences volunteering for Placencia Humane Society?  My feeble attempts at learning to cook in a new country?  Or maybe stories and advice about surviving a move to a foreign country?

Maybe my long history of working with dogs? Funny doggie daycare stories, or training guide dog puppies for the blind?  Basic Obedience training?  Or, when I created a pet therapy program at the prison where I worked?

Maybe you want to hear my stories as a Harley rider (yes, I rode my own Fatboy!) or the time Dick and I took a 22-day trip around the country on our motorcyles, or the times I’ve been to Sturgis.  Or maybe some stories from the years we spent as boaters on the Coraville Resevoir (if you think Harley riders are crazy-you don’t know boaters!)  Maybe my (very) brief stint working at a radio station?

Maybe my long list of surviving or overcoming things, such as: being devastated by divorce (twice!), starting my life over (many times in many ways!), surviving domestic and sexual abuse, or surviving and waking up perfectly fine from a ruptured brain aneurysm and invasive brain surgery (when they nearly had my husband picking out nursing homes)?

(Or something I've forgotten ? I do that a lot! Brain surgery is not the best thing for your memory!)


No comments:

Post a Comment