Sunday, November 10, 2013

Finding Your (Next) Passion.........

First things first - I have to admit that I did NOT have cheesecake for breakfast today.  What I DID have was an oh sooooo fabulous, moist, homemade red-velvet cupcake with soft, smooth, cream cheese frosting, and it was DELISH!!! True story. Did I bake it?  Um, no.  (Those who know me are rolling on the floor with laughter right now- everyone knows I can't bake!)  My friend Monique at CakeChics here in Placencia did--and well, she is like the Cake Boss of Belize! Monique makes the most awesome cupcakes, birthday cakes, cookies, and glorious other confections.  So, when she had an extra six-pack of her extra-special red velvet cupcakes available Friday evening, I just couldn't say no.  This morning's cupcake was the last one left-and I can't believe they lasted that long.

Source: CakeChic's FB page
The reason I mention my breakfast (again!) is that although I don't know Monique that well yet, I've had her treats many times, they are phenomenal, and so I already admire her very much just for that.  But, her creativity, talent, and enthusiasm are unmistakable.  She has a clear passion for her baking, and an obvious love for what she is doing, and her infectiously positive attitude shines through in what she creates.  These qualities seem to somehow magically sweeten everything she bakes into something satisfying and delicious.  (Is anybody else reminded of the "CandyMan Song" here???) But seriously, best of all, she's also creating an income stream AND she seems to be having a blast doing what she loves!  What a concept!  I want to be like her- doing what I love (writing), creating an income stream from it (someday), and most importantly, loving doing it! And that is why my breakfast choice ties into my topic today nicely........

It's Day 3 of my 30-day blogging challenge, and my "homework" for today is to determine what my passion is and focus on that passion so I can write about it.  I gotta say, it's no easier today than it was yesterday, or the day before!  I am instructed to identify my talents & strengths; eg. what I'm "uniquely good at," and then try to build upon those skills to lead me to the type of writing I will enjoy doing.   My problem is, I can't figure out what I'm "uniquely good at" or even anything I'm very passionate about right now.  I'm pretty sure I had some talents, and maybe even some passions--other than dogs--throughout my life.  I just don't remember, or can't seem to admit to myself, what they were.

Once upon a time I had a burning passion, to create and build a doggy daycare/training business, so I could make a living working with dogs!  I stubbornly chased that passion for ten years against many obstacles.  And I was good at it!  While I loved it for much of that time, and it was successful WAY beyond our original dreams for it, in the end, it didn't exactly turn out how I planned, and I lost my enthusiasm for the business.  And so my passion, to make a living working with dogs, turned to resentment, and then my resentment turned to apathy.  And then my brain couldn't take it anymore and had a little explosion (no joke, it really did!), and so we sold the business.  What had been my passion had become my ball and chain, and was very nearly the death of me.  Sometimes I think at the moment we closed the sale, I was left with a big empty hole where my passion had been.  And, maybe that's why I can't find my next passion now........  


It's frustrating to feel so adrift.  I've been doing a lot of reading and soul-searching, and asking people a lot questions.  I've spent hours scouring the internet, searching out more methods to help me figure it out.  I haven't found one thing that's made me say, "Oh yes, THAT'S what I'm really good at--THAT'S something I really love doing--THAT'S what I can write about!!"  One thing's certain, I'm not ready to give up, not by a long-shot.  I am deeply committed to finding my next passion, whatever it may be, and wherever it may lead, and somehow incorporate that passion into my writing.

So I guess if anyone is still wondering, it seems maybe that's what this blog is going to be about.  At least for right now.  It's going to be about starting my quest to find my next passion, to find that thing that I love to do, and that loves me back.   I hope someday I can find the same kind of passion, enthusiasm, and creativity that Monique, my CakeChics friend, has found and put that into my writing.  I've seen it said many ways, but it's always true-- the only way to fail is to never start.  So let's get started!  I hope you'll continue to join me for the journey.

Have you found your passion?  How? And what was it?  I'd love to hear about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment