Thursday, November 21, 2013

I Have Become My Mother......

My parents on their wedding day

Today would have been my dad's 69th birthday, and it got me thinking quite a bit about about my parents, who have both passed away now.  Whenever I think of them, I often wonder, how do we end up becoming just like our parents, no matter how hard we try to avoid it?  As a kid, I swore I was going to be so different-- I was going to be the one to "break the chain."  I was going to be normal! Even though I didn't think my parents, or the things they did were remotely normal, I vowed I was not going to do the "abnormal" things that they did.  I believed I would do things.....well.... different.  And, of course in my childish righteousness, I was certain I would never make the mistakes they made.
Dad, Me, Brent, and Mom (circa late 60's!)

And though I have a few of my father's personality traits, there is absolutely no doubt that I am my mother's daughter.  Before she died, people used to say I even looked just like her.  My voice sounds just like hers.  I am built just like her.  And when I look in the mirror, I see her face staring back at me, especially the older I get!  But even more telling is the fact that I have made all the mistakes I believed she made, and many more.  I've came up with some even crazier stunts, and done so many more things completely ass-backwards than she ever dreamed of doing.  Even though I was so determined to be different, and not do the "imperfect" things I believed she did, I have somehow become EXACTLY like my mother.  

The look I was aiming for
That realization hit me smack in the face this weekend, when after coloring my hair for the third time in one week, I still hated it.  And, yet, I was already thinking about coloring it one more time.  And THAT, my friends, is classic Donna Lou--my mother, who was practically famous for her botched home haircolor experiments!  My face even looked just like hers; with a hilariously surprised, yet knowing expression, staring back in the mirror as I unwrapped my towel and saw yet another failed hair-coloring display.  

My ends were breaking off unevenly, even though I'd toned it and conditioned it as much as possible.  I'd even added a little brown to counteract the yellow, but it still wasn't the color I wanted.  The outgrowth of my naturally dark and "mousey" hair just would not go blonde enough, and I now had three colors--yellow at the scalp, a mucky brown in the middle, and peroxide-fried blond at the frizzy, lifeless ends. And yet, I was still thinking of to giving it another go!  Worst of all, this isn't the first or even the second time I've done this throughout the years.  I've done it over and over.  Just like mom!

My natural color, last seen 4 years ago
Later that day, a close friend told me it was "cute" and that it looked just like Austin Powers' hair.  I was crushed--Austin Powers wasn't exactly the look I was going for.  I have finally resigned myself to making an appointment with a professional next week.  I'll be having it all cut quite short again, and letting it go back to my natural color, so I can start over once more. Just like mom!

Have you ever found yourself doing the things you swore you'd never do "just like your parents?"  




  








No comments:

Post a Comment