Wednesday, November 20, 2013

When You Wish Upon a Star.......




I originally started this post Monday morning, but thanks to several interruptions in my internet service which ended in a complete "freeze" of my blogger account, I couldn't finish.  Then the hubby unexpectedly took a day off and took me to the beach yesterday to celebrate a local holiday, and I was in no condition to write when we got home (thanks Barefoot crew!).  But as they say on tv, "We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming!"

Earlier this week, I noticed one of the talk shows was broadcasting from Disneyland in celebration of Mickey Mouse’s 85th birthday.  As a child, my family didn’t have the money to take fancy vacations, so going to Disney was an impossible fantasy for me, and as an adult I never made it a priority to go, although I'd still really like to. But it got me thinking about all the other things I’d still like to do and see before it's too late, and what's on my bucket list.

I'm betting that the number one item on my list just might surprise you.   Because even though I was the only girl in the family (with five brothers!), I wasn't much of a tomboy while growing up, and was definitely not interested in sports. But I’ve become a big NFL fan over the last 20 years, specifically a fan of the New England Patriots, and I watch football religiously every Sunday, Monday and Thursday.  I know it’s a bit strange for a girl to be such a big fan of a football, but I am!

Courtesy of NFL.com
And my dream would be a trip to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, for a New England Patriots football game.  Preferably at playoff time--in the snow! And, of course I’d need to spend a few extra days, because there’s an entire village called “Patriot Place”-dedicated to all things Patriots, where I could spend so much time (and of course, money!)

Sadly, the hubby and all his family members are avid Indianapolis Colts fans--and my beloved Patriots are the much hated enemy of the Colts.  Any mention of such trip to my "other half" usually results in painful facial expressions, dramatic cringes, and much muttering of foul language.   But I would give my right arm, or leg, (or both!) to attend a game with other “Pats” fans, maybe get to tailgate, and shop in "Patriot Village."  Just once.
Courtesy of Patriots.com

In a cruel twist of fate, I got to see their fabulous new stadium a few years ago--briefly, from the parking lot for about five short but glorious minutes.  But I didn’t even get to go in. I was running late for a plane, so I took a few pictures from the parking lot and drove away.  It was demoralizing to be that close to one of my hearts desires, and have to turn away.  But I’m confident that someday, somehow, I’m going to find a way to go back and make my dream come true.

I believe it will happen, even if I don't know how yet.  Maybe I just need to find a star to wish upon. As Jiminy Crickett sings, "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you....if your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme, when you wish upon a star, as dreamers do......"  Thank you Walt Disney, and Jiminy Crickett for helping keep my dreams alive.  And Happy Birthday Mickey! Maybe someday I'll get to meet you, too!

 What's on your bucket list? And what would be the “Number One” item on your wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment