Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Perfect Day - At Work & At Play

Breakfast of Champions?
Welcome to Day 5 of my 30-day blogging challenge-I hope you are having a great day!  I started my morning today with a healthy container of low calorie, nonfat, strawberry yogurt--with active cultures AND probiotics!  I share this so that you know the truth--I don't really have cheesecake (or even cupcakes!) for breakfast every day.

Matter of fact, many days I don't eat breakfast at all.  Some days, I just drink coffee until around lunchtime.  I'm just not hungry in the mornings.  And I know what you're thinking, but please save the lectures!  I'm well aware that the experts claim that it's "bad" to skip breakfast.  I simply can't eat first thing in the morning.  It makes me nauseous.  But on the days that I DO eat something, usually around 10 or 11 a.m, I try to make it a yogurt, fruit, or another healthy choice. Except on the days I have cheesecake, of course!

What do you mean I gotta eat yogurt?!!
The ironic part is, I positively HATE yogurt.  I don't think hate is even a strong enough word.  I think yogurt has the taste and consistency of SNOT.  Like the snot you get when you're really sick & congested.  It's disgusting. I hate it.  There, I said it. I PROUDLY proclaim to the world: I AM A YOGURT HATER!!!! Thank god the containers are small.

I'm sure you're wondering then, why in the hell did I eat it?  I ate it because it's good for me.  It helps keep my tummy healthy and happy. I know my body needs what's in it and I feel better when I eat it.  It helps my belly stay on track when I get the probiotics, active cultures, and other nutrients it provides.  So I bite the bullet (or bite the snot?) and spoon that slimy crap down my throat a couple days a week.  I force myself to swallow it because it's good for me, and I need to eat it for my overall health.

So what does eating something I despise have to do with my journey to become a writer? How does that relate to rediscovering my passions and finding the "pearl in my oyster?" Well, it ties into the fact that today I am given a task that I really don't want to do.  My assignment today is to describe in very exact detail my perfect work day and my perfect "play" day.  And it's not that I don't know what those days would look like, I have a VERY good idea of what each would be!  It's simply that actually writing it down, and thinking about every little detail of my perfect day, well, it's a lot of work.  Work I don't feel like doing right now.  I'm just not in the mood.  Quite honestly, I simply don't want to work hard on anything today!  As one of my favorite songs says, "I don' wanna work, I jus' wanna bang on de drum all day........." (Listen to it here!)

But what's cool about the deal, at least for me, is I don't HAVE to work today!  And that is EXACTLY what I would want my perfect work day to be like.  I would want it to be my choice, every day. When I would wake up, I could choose to write for a while like I am this morning, and when I felt I was done, or when I needed to be done, I could stop.  If I felt really "in the groove" I could continue to work, like I did on Saturday when I worked on my writing for 12 hours straight.  (Yes, I'm also working on writing a "real book" on the side, like every wannabe writer).  My perfect workday would be my on my schedule and on my own terms.  It would be my choice to be as creative as I wanted for as long as I wanted, or just until I felt like being done.

As for my perfect "play" day, well...  There are just so many things, I can't write them all down here, but it would look something like this:


The beauty of what I'm wanting to do, to "be a writer," is that it will allow me to keep my freedom.  I can set my own schedule, work when I feel most creative, and go do something else when I WANT TO.

So, yes, later tonight I will force myself to finish my assignment for today.  I'll do it because it's good for me, and because it will help me in my quest to become a "real" writer.  The process of focusing on what I really want out of each day, and studying how to accomplish that, will help me laser in on exactly what I need to be doing each day to get there.  So, like any good student, I will buckle down and do my homework.  I'll just do it later. Because I can. Because I'm a writer. Besides, doing my homework has got to be easier than choking down yogurt.

Do you have an idea of what your perfect work or play day would look like?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment