Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Getting Focused!

Wow, Day 6 of my 30-day challenge already!  I'm posting later than usual today because I had to take some time to do some thinking about today's assignment, which is about goals and priorities.  That meant I have to get serious about determining what I want to get out of my writing.  
Learning to make donuts!

I admit I also had to take some time out for myself to color my hair today!  Living in Central America, you have to learn to do many things yourself.  Coloring my own hair is just one of things I've learned to do since moving to Belize.  I’ve also been learning to cook, something I never did much before.  And now I’m learning to be a writer! I consider these learning experiences part of the “big adventure” of living abroad, although I’m not sure my hair would be so enthusiastic if it could speak!

But it’s time to do some serious work, so let's get started!  My assignment today is to choose just three goals or priorities that I need to focus on for the next 30 days. These items are intended to define what I feel are the most essential actions I need to do consistently to move me closer to my goal.  

I researched quite a bit, did some heavy reading, and narrowed it down.  Then I got started writing.  And I got carried away.  I felt like I was having a real, face-to-face conversation with you!  I started detailing just what I was going to work on, and how, and why.  I imagined your responses.  (You were very encouraging, thoughtful, and witty, by the way!)  It was a wonderful exchange!  

Then I took a break, and came back to read what I had written.  All I can say is, thank god for the delete button (the man who created it should receive cyber-sainthood!)  It was beyond boring!  
 
So, I started over.  Harshly edited & pared down, these three things are my top priorities, in no particular order: 
  1. Continue educating myself and seeking advice from others.  
  2. Focus on figuring out my “why.”  Answer “what do I have to offer?”  Narrow down my “niche”
  3. Believe I CAN do it. Embrace the uncertainty.  Ignore the distractions and naysayers.  And STOP waiting for permission to go after what I WANT.  
The process of editing my writing reminded me of an important lesson for aspiring writers.  After you think you are done writing, then proofread, edit, & cut.  Rewrite if necessary, and then edit and cut some more.  Pour your heart out in your words, put your soul down on paper if it helps your writing process.  But then go back and slice that heart out.  Hack that bloody sucker up. Rip that soul OUT of your writing!  Wear that useless bloody heart on your shirtsleeve if you must, but cut it out of your writing.  Chop out every single unnecessary word, no matter how carefully you chose it, that is not ABSOLUTELY 100% needed.  I tried.  At least as much as my whimpering writer's heart would allow. 

What goals and priorities do you have for your work?  Have you had to do any harsh editing of your most heart-felt work, or rewrite your goals and priorities?  Please, tell me about it--I love hearing from you!  I saw a wise saying I really liked today, and I want to end with it tonight.  I hope it gives you something to think about -- it did for me.  

“When all our dreams have come true, it is because we have dreamed too little.”  
Dream big, my friends.  Dream big.  

No comments:

Post a Comment