Friday, March 14, 2014

Don't Let Your "Nevers" Keep You From Your "Nexts"

After retiring to the Caribbean at a young age, and sunning myself on the beach for over a year with little to occupy my mind other than which cocktail to choose next, I created this blog in an attempt to "find my NEXT self" through the process of writing. 

When not reading and writing, which are my first creative choices, I have been doing quite a bit of work "behind the scenes," taking a variety of online training courses and reading every website ever created on how to not only find, but DO what you love. 

I've listened to what seems like 5000 videos and podcasts, and attended heaps of online webinars, all geared toward teaching me how to create a personal website, market a blog, create a product, generate traffic and, possibly eventually, generate some revenue as well. I've also signed up on a couple freelance worksites and done some testing through them to see if that could give me some direction on where I want to go next in my life. But I've learned I don't really want to "work" for someone else. I don't want to exchange my hours for dollars, especially not for someone else's benefit. 

What I want to do is create. 

I want to create something of value, and in exchange for that value, I want to use any revenue I might generate to travel even MORE of the world, and experience life even more fully. And then share those experiences with others. I want to not only see and experience what's here and now, but also what's next.

But I was still kinda stuck. I still hadn't found one thing that really made me feel excited. I'd been searching for months and months, and coming up empty handed. I began to wonder if I was ever going to find my "next thing." 

And then, I attended an online class on how to make videos with just your iPhone, an iPad, and a little music. It was eye-opening. I had never made a video or any kind of movie clip, but I had all the equipment. I love sharing both pictures and videos, and the idea was that you can use either or both to interact with your "tribe." (Did y'all know YOU are my tribe? Well you are, and I'm glad!) 

I had never done anything like this, but it was EASY. And the end result was AWESOME! I was finally EXCITED! I could do this! And so I did.   

Below, you will find my very first assignment from the class. My task was to include it all--video, background music, other sound, and pictures. It's a little over three minutes long, not what I would typically put on a website or blog post. But I created the video with the idea that it might convince our two best friends to come back and visit us again here in Placencia. (I hope it works!)

You will see many pictures we took during their last visit, and one of their favorite spots, the Barefoot Beach Bar, which also doubles as my office two or three afternoons a week. It was a windy day and the water was rough, and I should note that I intentionally included the wind noise so it would feel almost as if the viewer were right here with me. 

I had NEVER done anything like this before, but I think I'm going to make a NEXT video soon! And it might just be my NEXT big thing- I am that excited about it! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this it. Click the link below to view the video and please let me know what you think (and if you'd like to see more videos of Placencia)!

No comments:

Post a Comment